In July 2018 we received our 6th Green Flag.
We have been an ECO school since 2008 and gained our 5th Green Flag in July 2016.
This year we are being assessed for our 6th Flag.
At Mundy Junior’s we have an open door policy. You are always welcome to look round our school grounds; we, ECO C.A.T.s would gladly give you a tour and show you our sustainable school.
As an Eco school we get to do lots of interesting things. We measure our energy and look at ways to improve the schools sustainability and efficiency and help to reduce the schools carbon footprint.
We look at the school environment as well as our local and global communites by –
- How what we are learning fits into local & international issues.
- Making links with our community other pupils, parents, and teachers. TAs, governors and local businesses.
- Improve the grounds around school, playground, gardens, resources to help play and the curriculum, increasing biodiversity and making sure that areas are litter free.
- Raising awareness of reducing the amount resources consumed and considering investing in greener products wherever possible.
- Offering everyone the opportunity to: work in saving resources in a small way, leading projects, join in debate, and consider the lives of other children in other areas of the world and how we can all make a difference.
We are looking at our Travel Plan, improving our playground and more for us to recycle this month.
Travel Plan: As part of the plan we will be sending out a questionnaire for children and parents to fill in.
Playground: The children have been looking through playground equipment catalogues and have cut out all there favourite ones. We will be getting a rep in to talk to the C.A.T.s about the equipment.
Recycling: We already recycle pens, ink cartridges, glasses, stamps, mobile phones and batteries in school however we joined a new brigade which is recycling sweet biscuit wrappers. We will be send out a leaflet with everything we collect in school. The money raised from this buys our seeds and soil for the coming year.
We are well on the way to our Bronze Travel award from MODESHIFT. It has involved lots of work and still more to come. This is going to be one of our main projects for our Green Flag assessment in July.
We got our Bronze Travel Award! Rob Bounds is coming to present us with the award on Friday 25th May.
We have put the application in for our Green Flag assessment, fingers crossed.
We enjoyed a successful Horticultural & Agricultural Show on Saturday June 16th. The field was full of fun things to do and we also went green this year. We used Rain forest Alliance or Fairtrade products, recyclable & bio degradable equipment. We also recycled all the cans & cardboard produced on the day.
We were assessed for our 6th Green Flag. The children were great showing the assessor around and showing how passionately they care about the environment and the local community. We are happy to report that we received our 6th Green Flag!
Our new committee has been chosen and we will be getting our teeth into some new projects.
Fab trip to Brailsford Plough match on 3rd. The C.A.T.s had a great day and learnt lots about animals and farming today.